Schedule A Free Estimate!
The Basics of Roofing
Your roof is an integral part of your home, structurally and aesthetically. It takes a lot of money to replace your roof. However, most homeowners only know little about how their roof is built and what problems it may encounter during its entire lifespan. Understanding the basics of your roofing system can help you choose the right roof and properly maintain it.
Here is everything you need to know about your roofing system.
Understand the parts of your roof
Your roofing structure is made up of multiple components. Each part plays a vital role in the structural integrity of your roof. Here are the essential elements of your roof.
- Shingles: Shingles refer to the top layer of your roof protecting the inner layer against elements. Shingles are made of various materials, including wood, metal, clay, and various others.
- Sheathing: This is also known as the deck of your roof. It may consist of boards or sheeting material attached to the rafters to cover your house.
- Rafters: Rafters are the wooden or metal slats in the house that hold your roof upright.
- Underlayment: This is a water-resistant material added to your sheathing to protect it against water damage.
- Drainage: Drainage is the design element of your roof that allows the top to shed water and snow quickly.
- Dormers: They refer to the roof sections that stick out of your roof. They bring in more natural lighting. However, not every roof has them.
Common roofing problems you can face
Constant exposure to elements and lack of proper maintenance can significantly damage your roof. Some common signs of damage include:
- Leaks: If you can notice water dripping from your roof during rain or snow, it is a clear indication of damage.
- Moss growth: Another common sign of roof damage is moss and algae buildup on your roof. It occurs due to moisture and dampness. It can also cause discoloration.
- Damaged shingles: Your shingles may break and wither away due to constant exposure to heat and cold over the years. You can either replace the damaged shingle or replace the entire roof.
Things to know when replacing your roof
There are some things that every homeowner should know when replacing their roof. This includes:
- Age: Every roofing material has a maximum lifespan, after which you need to replace it. When you think of replacing your roof, knowing how much life it has left is essential. Also, consider when was the last time you got your roof repaired.
- Ventilation: Adequate ventilation is essential for your roof to remain in good condition. Lack of airflow promotes mold and mildew buildup. Therefore, you need to maintain the ventilation channels when you replace the roof.
- Fire rating: It is important to note the fire rating of your roof. The rating is given according to your roofing material’s heat resistance, wherein the material with the highest resistance gets an ‘A’ rating while the lowest one receives a ‘C’ rating.
- Pitch: The pitch or slope of your roof can help you determine which materials will be the best fit. So it is important to know the pitch before beginning the roof replacement process.
About Christopher Home Improvement
If you are looking for a reputable and professional roofing contractor to install and maintain your roof, Christopher Home Improvement should be your one-stop destination. We have served the residents and businesses in Connecticut and Rhode Island for over 16 years. Call us at 877-334-4654 or fill out our contact form to get free roof repair, siding, gutter, or home window installation and repair estimate.
Get in Touch
Let's Get Started!
Submit Your Info Above!
We'll Be In Touch Shortly!