Schedule A Free Estimate!
Tips for Identifying the Best Roofing Materials
The roof is one of the most substantial parts of your home that acts as a protective layer against all elements. However, roofs have a limited lifespan and must be replaced from time to time. Choosing the suitable roofing material has eminent benefits like enhanced durability, curb appeal, and lower maintenance costs. However, with so many options in the market, choosing the best one for your home can be tricky.
Here are some tips for choosing the best roofing materials for your home.
When choosing a roofing material for your home, you need to consider how long it will last. Every material has a different lifespan. For example, asphalt roofing shingles last for about 20-22 years, while slate roofs last for more than a hundred years. However, asphalt is far cheaper than metal or slate shingles. So you need to consider your budget as well.
Curb appeal is another essential element to consider when choosing the roofing material. Not every material will look good with your home’s design and aesthetics. Let’s say your home is designed in Spanish style; then, asphalt looks the best. Similarly, if the design is craftsman style, then wood or plastic polymer would complement that style. Therefore, choose one that matches the rest of the home’s design and style.
Ability to withstand natural disasters
Another essential factor when choosing the roofing material is its ability to withstand harsh weather. If you reside in a cyclone-prone region, choose a wind-resistant material and always opt for fire-resistant materials. Metal and slate provide the most resistance against wind and fire.
Budget is another crucial consideration for choosing the roofing material for your home. Replacing your roof requires a substantial amount of investment, and you must consider the pros and cons of selecting a specific material. However, compromising on quality can cost you more in the long haul.
Consider the maintenance and installation cost along with buying costs when choosing the material.
Most popular roofing materials
Now that you know what the essential factors to consider are, you can look at some of the most popular roofing options.
- Wood Shingles: Wood shingles look elegant and rustic. However, they have a short lifespan and require periodic maintenance.
- Plastic Polymer: These shingles are budget-friendly and durable however don’t look aesthetically pleasing. If you are looking for a budget option, it is a good choice.
- Clay tiles: Clay tiles are made with natural materials, are very robust, and require minimal maintenance over the years. However, the initial cost is relatively high.
- Concrete tiles: They are very durable and less expensive than clay tiles. However, they require a lot of energy to be made, significantly impacting the environment.
- Metal: Metal is a popular option among homeowners as it is durable and relatively cheap. Also, it looks good. The only drawback is it is pretty noisy.
- Asphalt: Asphalt is also a popular option as it is very budget-friendly. However, it is not durable or eco-friendly.
- Natural slate: Slate is one of the best roofing materials as it is eco-friendly, durable, and looks strikingly beautiful.
About Christopher Home Improvement
If you are looking for a reputable and professional roofing contractor to install and maintain your roof, Christopher Home Improvement should be your one-stop destination. We have served the residents and businesses in Connecticut and Rhode Island for over 16 years. Call us at 877-334-4654 or fill out our contact form to get free roofing, siding, skylight repair, gutter, or home window installation and repair estimate.
Get in Touch
Let's Get Started!
Submit Your Info Above!
We'll Be In Touch Shortly!